Temporal Power designs, manufactures and services the world’s leading flywheel energy storage technology. Temporal Power offers a high-performance energy storage solution that holds the highest amount of energy of any commercial flywheel in the world, offers no degradation due to cycle life, and is a clean technology made of fully recyclable materials.
We are looking for a Senior Product Engineer to join our team to make a meaningful contribution to our flywheel performance, and cost reduction efforts. This person will lead design projects and coordinate with other stakeholders at Temporal to deliver value to our customers and our investors. The applicant should be a versatile self-starter with broad machine design experience and the ability to lead a cross-functional team to effective solution resolution and implementation.
Temporal is a leading Canadian cleantech company; this person needs to be comfortable working in a fluid environment in a rapidly evolving industry. Being an “out of the box” thinker with the analytical rigor to help others understand your approach are key assets; the opportunity is to develop creative solutions to new design challenges in the renewable energy space.
Working with other engineers and designers, this role will manage projects through Temporal Power’s design process. These projects will be planned and executed by the Senior Product Engineer to meet short- and long-term business objectives.
The Senior Product Engineer will also assist in the deployment and commissioning of flywheel energy storage systems at client’s sites. Additionally, as a key member of the flywheel design team, they will offer support to service personnel who manage our Service Level Agreements.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop a thorough understanding of the function, cost, and performance requirements of the key elements of Temporal Power’s Flywheel Energy Storage technology.
- Evaluate lab and real-world operating data to lead design projects for performance improvements and cost optimization.
- Technical ownership over design projects for flywheel components and shop fixtures, including; Conceptualization, Design for Manufacture & Assembly, FEA, FMEA, Drafting, and Validation Testing.
- Analysis of change requests from various sources and executing required changes to the product design while communicating with the production team for implementation.
- Onsite support during commissioning and customer system integration.
- Field diagnostics and Root Cause Analysis for service support.
Education and Designations: Bachelors or Masters in Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent
Knowledge and Experience: 10+ years of relevant industrial experience in machine design
Skills and Attributes:
1. Strong experience with large rotating machinery and machine design.
2. A strong working knowledge of vibration analysis, solid mechanics, heat transfer, and fluid mechanics is a must.
3. Working knowledge of sensors, electromechanical energy conversion, and NI LabView an asset.
4. Familiar with precision machining, casting, forging, as well as other metal working & forming processes.
5. Leadership and mentoring experience a strong plus.
6. Proficiency in SolidWorks 2014 with knowledge and experience with the appropriate use of GD&T, drafting standards, configuration management, drawing release & controls.
7. Experience working with PDM, change management, and management of Bills of Material.
8. Proven track record of problem solving skills, both in the lab and in the field.
9. A Self-starter with demonstrated organization and prioritization skills, strong attention to detail.
10. Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
11. Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment with minimal supervision.
Direct Reports: No
Predictability of Working Hours: Yes
Travel: Yes, 20%
Job Type: Full-time